Groundbreaking new software tool bringing high-end VFX and post workflows to 360°/VR filmmaking is based on Imagineer’s Academy Award-winning planar tracking algorithm.
Mocha VR is a groundbreaking new software tool bringing high-end visual effects and post-production workflows to 360°/VR filmmaking. Based on Imagineer’s Academy Award-winning planar tracking algorithm, Mocha VR is also the first plug-in to bring native 360° optimized motion tracking, masking, object removal, and horizon stabilization tools to host applications Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Adobe After Effects CC, Avid Media Composer, The Foundry’s NUKE, and Blackmagic Design Fusion.
Mocha VR marks the first foray into the quickly expanding 360° filmmaking community by parent company Boris FX, the leading developers of creative VFX plug-ins including flagship products Boris Continuum, Mocha Pro, and recently acquired Sapphire.
“Emerging 360°/VR content creators want to produce Hollywood-style visuals and use high-end finishing techniques to make their 360° videos more impactful,” said Ross Shain, Chief Marketing Officer. “However, the equirectangular format brings technical challenges to the artists tasked with delivering high-quality deliverables. Mocha VR introduces an efficient, time-saving post-stitch workflow for editors, compositors, and finishing artists. We are excited that Mocha’s famous planar tracking can now be used to fix many problems associated with 360° post, such as removing cameras and stabilizing aerial footage.”
“Avid is committed to working with third-parties to offer the most comprehensive tools and workflow solutions to create, distribute, and monetize media,” said Kate Ketcham, Product Manager, Avid. “Boris FX has extensive experience creating high-quality plug-ins for Avid Media Composer. The new Mocha VR AVX plug-in is notable for being the first third-party 360° video tool designed to support the Avid editing workflow.”
Early Mocha VR beta testers have reaped the benefits of the powerful new 360°/VR workflow.
“Before Mocha VR, we were using Mocha AE to rotoscope for rig removal in 360° video projects. With Mocha VR, it is so much easier to do this work!” said Daniel Rojas Roa, 3GO Video Time. “Saving time is a priority, so we are most excited about the horizon stabilization and object removal tools.”
Mocha VR Features
- 360° Planar Tracking: Imagineer’s award-winning planar tracking solution now supports equirectangular footage delivering the world’s most robust 360° tracking solution for post-production.
- 360° Workspace: Optimized workspace and toolset works simultaneously in rectilinear and lat/long views bringing 360° capability to a variety of applications. Editors and artists can easily track, roto, create effects, and insert graphics without worrying about equirectangular seams or distorted pixels.
- 360° Masking Tools: Unlimited X-Spline tools for articulate shape creation and masking, saves hours of time versus traditional keyframing techniques. Roto-masks can be rendered back to host or exported to most editing and compositing systems.
- 360° Object Removal: Mocha’s famous Remove Module now works on 360° video by analyzing temporal frames and removing unwanted camera rigs, shadows, crew members, and more for massive time-savings.
- Horizon Stabilization & Reorient: Designed to reduce unstable motion, the new Reorient Module can drastically improve nausea-inducing VR experiences by smoothing or stabilizing shaky, handheld, and drone captured footage. Driven by robust planar tracking, a user can even track and stabilize difficult and out of focus footage.
- Lens Distort Workflow for 360° Compositing: Plug-in based lens correction workflow converts between lat/long and rectilinear for a simple workflow to add titles, graphics, patches, and non-360 enabled filters to your 360 project.
- Plug-in & Standalone Workflows: Running as a plug-in inside industry standard editing and effects applications Adobe Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Avid Media Composer, and NUKE provides an immediate and accessible workflow for 360°/VR post tasks. Render finished shots to your timeline OR export tracking and roto data in a variety of formats for flexibility and project sharing.
Source: Boris FX